Friday, April 27, 2007

"I [pant] need [pant] a crane!! [pant] "


so SSG R said to me and SSG C as he came running in the DFAC.

SSG R [all panicky]: The gravel truck just tipped over! SSG C I need you to get a crane from the Koreans!

SSG C [calmly still eating lunch]: Ok, I'll talk to them.

SSG R [still panicky]: No, I need it now!

SSG C [again, calmly]: Ok, I'll talk to them.

me: Anyone hurt?

SSG R: No, but I don't know what is going to happen to the driver. An [local who brings these guys to us] is pretty pissed and I don't know what is going to happen to the driver!

me: Sit down. Have some lunch. Have you eaten?

There's a saying here in Iraq, "Inshallah" which means "God-willing" which also can mean "I'm not in a hurry." or "It will happen when it happens." Commonly said by any Iraqi, particularly when the impatient Americans want something, I just thought to myself "Inshallah."



Follow up: I can't tell you how many Koreans stopped and took pictures of the overturned truck, but we were able to get a crane from the maintenance battaion, quickly too. (we didnt even have to formally submit a memo request!) They turned the truck right side up and somehow drove it away.

1 comment:

ria+3 said...

DFAC? SSG R? SSG C? the army has more letters to figure out than IM'ing w/ a 14 year old! wtf? Lol!

As for the truck? I don't want to know how that happened! Good thing no one was hurt. (and what was for lunch that couldn't wait?)