Friday, November 9, 2007

Ibrahim Khalil


I tagged along with the Border Transition Team (BTT) last week. They were training one of the Iraqi border brigades, and since lately I find myself without a lot of work, I asked if I could go with them. We stayed at the Ibrahim Khalil Border complex, the main POE between Iraq and Turkey.

{Here is one guy's observation of the Turkey/PKK tensions. And another article.}

I didn't see any Turkish soldiers, or any PKK rebels - just a lot of trucks moving back and forth between the countries. (Well, a lot of trucks waiting to move back and forth between countries.) We did eat at a truck stop within the complex - kabobs, lamb skewers, bbq chicken, flat bread, fresh vegetables, zaytuns (which means "olive"). The food was so good we went back the next night.



It was a welcome break from camp, and the 10-man BTT always takes care of me whenever I tag along.

No comments: